The third niyamas is tapas or effort/discipline. It is translated as “to generate light or heat”. It inspires a practice of self-discipline to cultivate our will power.
Like all of the yamas and niyamas, the application for tapas is endless. We can use this will power to draw us back to our intention again and again. It can fuel the fire which keeps us constant in our Practice. This same fire transforms and purifies us as we become more mindful of our impulses and negative behavior and choose to create change for ourselves.
Today, I invite you to engage your inner fire with this simple Breath of Fire exercise.
- Close your eyes, place your hand over the area slightly above your belly button.
- Picture yourself filled with confidence and vitality.
- You will be inhaling and exhaling through your nostrils in even time.
- On your exhale draw navel forcibly back to spine.It will be loud.
- On inhale, let belly fill naturally.
- Do as quickly as you are able.
- Continue for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Have fun with this! So much love!